Therapy for Children with MD
Therapy for children with MD aims to engage children in exercises and activities that help them to maintain/slow down the effects of their condition on joint range of movement, muscle strength and posture, whilst helping to encourage, promote and continue function, activity and independent movement. Therapy may also have a positive effect on decreasing pain associated with muscle weakness.
The programmes that we provide can:
- Provide stretching advice and exercise
- contain exercises that encourage global or limb specific movement
- strength exercises both limb specific or globally
- encourage good body posture and alignment
- provide functional/activity advise.
We provide individual consultations via application forms, videos and where possible 1-1 hands on assessments with our team.
From the consultations together we can choose which options of therapy best suits your child’s needs.
These may be
- individual sessions
- group based exercise programmes (chair based, standing/mobility based, or specific gym based “training” sessions for those who require.
We will provide you with home exercise programmes that you can follow together with the therapist led sessions in order for you to continue with the therapy as and when best suits your child, the whole family or your daily routine. We strongly suggest you carry on these programmes throughout the week.